Common Law Agreements In Ontario

If you die without having a will that says exactly what will happen to your property, your property belongs to your parents – for example, your children, your parents, or your siblings. To claim some of your property, your spouse must go to court to prove that he or she helped pay for it. It takes time and it is expensive. For these reasons, people living in a common law relationship should have a will indicating to whom their property should go if one of them dies. Common law relationships are on the rise in Canada, but many couples are not familiar with the legal rights and duties they have on top of one another if the relationship were to collapse. The court could give the common law wife 50% of the shares in the apartment. Not all partnerships have married.